Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, April 10, 2024

JUDGED MORE STRICTLY

As a lifelong churchgoer and a former youth pastor, I've watched and worked with quite a few pastors in my lifetime.

At this stage of my life, I find that I don't often feel judgmental toward unbelievers who "know not what they do" or believers who fall short of the Author and Perfecter of our Faith.

If I get to feeling judgmental these days, it is usually directed at fellow pastors, men and women who are acting in ways that reflect badly on our Lord. Or who reinforce the world's negative stereotypes of believers. 

I've known a few truly godly pastors in my lifetime and I've known a few truly evil pastors. It seems the vast majority I have rubbed shoulders with have been rather mediocre. Lifeless sermons, stagnant or shrinking congregations, working for a paycheck, etc.

I hope I am not among the mediocre, but how do any of us judge ourselves accurately, right?

The thought scares me a bit because I don't think a pastor would have to be outright evil to earn God's disapproval. When you lead other believers and preach God's word and represent the Church to the world outside - mediocre may be bad enough.

"Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly." James 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment