Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, April 11, 2024

10 YEARS AGO: THE RESTAURANT

Ten years ago I ventured into Cap Haitien, Haiti to take my 3 "Haitian sons" out to eat.

Here we are on the Boulevard along the waterfront before dinner: Me, Mikken, Johnny, and Ruysdael.

The occasion was Johnny's birthday. 

I took the guys to Lakay, a sit down restaurant I had visited a couple of times with other missionaries. 


It was about 9 months into my first year in Haiti and I still had a lot to learn about cultural differences and about extreme poverty. 

After we had our fill of creole chicken and rice and beans, I asked the guys about their previous experience with eating out. 

"So how often do you guys get to go out to a restaurant like this? Once a month? Less?"

One of them spoke up: "Once". 

"Once? Do you mean once a month?"

"No. Once... Tonight."


And this was back when Haiti was relatively stable. And when Haitians knew a life which, if not prosperous, was at least peaceful

Ten long years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment