Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, April 9, 2024

THE ONLY OTHER CHOICE

I grew up in the United Methodist Church. 

As a denomination, the UMC has long recognized the validity of women as pastors. What I learned when I graduated from seminary in the late 90s, was that not every person in the pew or in leadership was on board with the official stance.

When I finished at Asbury, I got a call from my District Superintendent to ask my interest in filling a half-time position at a little congregation not far from my hometown of Shelbyville. I was very interested. 

This man picked me up in his car and together we drove 20 minutes into the countryside.

There was no small talk. It was all business. This man was a little creepy, having the physical appearance of a live-action version of Mr. Burns from The Simpsons


He explained that we would be meeting with the church's Pastor Parrish Relations Committee to discuss my possible employment. 

"I think they will be excited to have a young pastor like you, so I don't anticipate any problems. But technically, they DO have the power to reject you."

Then he glanced at me and said in a tone which implied the confidentiality of sharing in a secret plot, "If they say they don't want you, though, I will tell them that their only other choice is a WOMAN."

He was dead serious. 

(There was no woman. Fortunately, the church never called his bluff - they did want me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment