Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, November 2, 2023

TEACH ME TO PRAY

There are so many great books out there with useful teaching about prayer, but if you are looking to grow in your prayer life, today I offer a simple but life-changing approach to prayer that has impacted my spiritual life immensely over the last 4 months. (And I am just getting started!)

And it is straightforward: If you truly want to learn how to pray, do what the disciples did and ask Jesus Himself to teach you. (Luke 11:1-4)

So each day I make this request of God: “Lord, teach me to pray”. And then I listen as closely as I can. 

It sounds too simple to be useful, but this practice has become a check on:

  • My sincerity: Do I REALLY want to grow in prayer?
  • My ignorance: There ARE ever deeper levels of prayer to explore!
  • My dependence: Prayer doesn’t come naturally - I NEED guidance.

If you want to try this for yourself, here’s a practical tip: To make “Lord, teach me to pray” part of your daily routine, set a reminder on your phone or use a reliable cue like the moment your feet hit the floor first thing in the morning or when you pour a cup of coffee or brush your teeth. 

And if you DO choose to take this as a daily habit yourself, I would love to hear your experience with it … a few weeks or months or years from now!  

There is so much to learn about prayer! Thankfully, Jesus is a patient teacher.

One day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment