Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, November 16, 2023

WHICH CREED DO YOU HOLD TO?

I got the attention of a Calvinist YouTuber - Daily Theology 1689 - by posting the following comment on his video, "Election is Biblical":

"It's good to see a Calvinist openly admit they see "faith" as a "work". (Although Scripture obviously does not.) Most go to great lengths to dance around this."

He chose to engage with me to show me where I was wrong in opposing Calvinism, and before long he was asking me, "What is the gospel?"

I replied: "Everlasting life and reconciliation with your Creator has been made available to humanity through the life, death, and resurrection of God's Son for whosoever believes."

I thought that would rile him up (because of the "whosoever"), but the whole thing threw him for a loop. He next asked:

"Do you affirm that God is a Trinity? Jesus is fully God and fully man? What creed or confession do you hold to?"

I had no doubt what the answer was for him - it's right there in his YouTube name: He's a devotee of the London Baptist Confession of 1689. 

(Those guys apparently got everything 100% correct and there's been no need for any believers to do any digging or questioning of their own in the past 334 years.)

I wrote back, "Yes, Yes, and there's no particular creed or confession that I pledge allegiance to. Why do you ask?"

This really got to him:

"Without a statement of faith it's difficult to discuss or understand where you are coming from. It may be helpful to write your own statement of faith, affirmations and denials."

But you know what? That's what I am actively avoiding these days. 

I don't have a problem with saying something like "Here's what I currently believe regarding X, Y, and Z theological issues."

But I will not tie my identity to any such position.

And I refuse to equate the affirmation of certain propositions about God - what we casually call "beliefs" - with actual saving belief in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment