Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, March 9, 2023

THORN

One of my professors posted this poem on Facebook today and I love the final stanza. I find this to be true: it is in the suffering of life that we come to know God most intimately.


THE THORN by Martha Snell Nicholson
I stood a mendicant of God
before His royal throne
And begged him for one priceless gift,
which I could call my own.

I took the gift from out His hand,
but as I would depart
I cried, “But Lord this is a thorn
and it has pierced my heart.

This is a strange, a hurtful gift,
which Thou hast given me.”
He said, “My child, I give good gifts
and gave My best to thee.”

I took it home and though at first
the cruel thorn hurt sore,
As long years passed I learned at last
to love it more and more.

I learned He never gives a thorn
without this added grace,
He takes the thorn to pin aside
the veil which hides His face.

No comments:

Post a Comment