Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

BEING MATURE

I was annoyed to find frost on the windshield this late-March morning when I needed to drive Sarah to school. I hit the windshield wipers and most of the frost was swept away, but a thick fog coated the glass on the inside. 

I cranked the defrost up to high and started to back out of the driveway. I decided that if I bobbed my head continuously, I could see well enough to not crash into any cars parked along the street. 

And then I looked at my passenger ... and remembered she had just received her learner's permit a couple of days ago.

What a terrible example I was being! I pulled over to the side of the street and waited for the fog to clear completely from the glass.

******

Lately, I have been reading in 1 Corinthians. When it comes to Chapter 10, I have often felt like Paul's reasoning about the mature believer's need to temper his own freedom for the benefit of the younger believer was maybe just a step too far. "Do not cause anyone to stumble." Why should I ever alter my behavior for the sake of some less mature believer? Isn't it really their problem? They just need to grow up.

I could have driven safely this morning with the windshield partially obscured - I know my limits. The street is very familiar and I was aware of my proximity to parked cars along the curb. Plus, I knew that the defrost would take care of the remaining fog by the time I reached the main road.

But all those thoughts were founded on 40 years of driving experience. If I had been alone in the car, then fine. But with my 16 year old daughter in the passenger seat watching all my actions, the last thing I want is for her to think she could do the same. 

I needed to set aside "my rights" and be a good example.

I wouldn't want my behavior to result in something for my daughter in the future which could be far worse than a "stumble". 


No comments:

Post a Comment