Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, March 26, 2023

DOUBLING MY CHANCES

I had a professor at Asbury Seminary back in the late 90s who said, "As soon as you step into a pulpit, you double your chances of going to hell."

It was a statement about the risks inherent in carrying the responsibility of interpreting God's word for others. Woe to anyone in authority who misrepresents God or His word - whether intentionally or not.  

Writing a sermon each week is going to be an interesting new challenge. It is an underappreciated skill.

And an odd experience ...

  • I have no idea if what I am preaching is on target or effective. And I am not sure what it would take to convince me either that I was really good at it or really terrible. 😏
  • I want to be really good at it - due to a mix of legitimate reasons ... and ego. (Just being honest.)
  • Throughout the process - from studying through delivery - I swing wildly between complete lack of confidence and extreme over confidence. I try to remind myself that neither is warranted. 
  • It is terrifying and causes me to lose sleep.

All that is to say: so far ... I am loving it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment