Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, September 18, 2022

PEACE

In Chapter 20, John's Gospel records several interactions of Jesus with His disciples just after the resurrection.

But John doesn't tell us a whole lot of what Jesus said to His disciples - the dialogue is sparse.

Even so, John notes a phrase that Jesus repeats 3 times to his disciples:

"Peace be with you!"

Jesus doesn't give the disciples a long explanation of why they should be full of peace, and he doesn't reprimand them for being fearful. 

He just says, "Peace be with you."

I have found myself battling anxious thoughts more often these past few years. (How about you?) I suppose some of that anxiety is due to Covid, some to stage of life, and some to social media. 

(I should probably stop reading Twitter.)

When I paused today to meditate on Jesus' phrase, "Peace be with you", I realized that one of the greatest things I gain from reading Scripture on a regular basis is a sense of sanity.

There is great peace in reading - and believing - the Bible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment