Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, August 27, 2022

REVISING MY TEACHING

If I were to step back into a high school English classroom, I would make significant changes to my teaching on writing.

First, my definition of strong writing would be different. 

Strong writing would be clear and to the point.

I would make sure students knew how to identify adverbs - so they could eliminate them from their writing. 

I would teach them to give serious thought to who their audience is, knowing that their audience is less rational than they think. 

(And much more emotional than they imagine.) 

I would de-emphasize "academic writing" and practice more real-world writing. 

I would teach students how to write an email that cannot be misunderstood ... and then how to respond when their audience misunderstands it anyway. 

I would teach the "rules". Test over the rules. Then teach how and when and why to break the rules. 

And I would show them the beauty of revision.

One thing might remain the same: me being just one step ahead of my students. 



No comments:

Post a Comment