Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, August 25, 2022

MY OWN TEACHING FAIL

Since I was griping about the failings of other teachers yesterday, today it is only fair for me to confess one of the biggest mistakes I myself made as a teacher.

I did this over and over again and never even realized I was wrong until after I left teaching.

(I am truly embarrassed by this now. I wish I could go back and correct this failing.) 

Are you curious? 

Here it is: 

I told my students time and again that I "knew" none of them would be going on to a career as a writer, but they should learn how to write anyway because it is a valuable skill in most professions.

The second part of that sentiment is true and I stand by it. But why did I assume that none of my students would ever go on to get a paycheck through writing professionally?

I wouldn't find it unusual for a math teacher to play up careers in math or a science teacher to encourage students to pursue careers in science. 

But me? For some reason, I shot down the possibility of writing as a vocation. 

I wasn't even aware of the possibilities. I knew nothing of copywriting, editing, ghostwriting, etc.

A few months ago I changed some of my LinkedIn settings so that I would get notifications for writing jobs. Now I get notifications on a daily basis for "30 new jobs in copywriting". Good paying jobs.

If I were teaching high school English these days, I would require them to research writing professions. And I would have my students checking out Upwork and Fiverr, two popular websites where freelance writers can get experience and start to build a portfolio. It would make a fantastic afterschool job for some of the better writers.

Maybe even the beginning of a career!


No comments:

Post a Comment