Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, August 29, 2022

FAILURE TO LAUNCH

I packed my suitcases, finished my to-do lists, and got to the airport on time this afternoon. But my trip to Ghana was a no-go.

I missed the fine print that stipulated the Covid vaccine had to be received at least 14 days before travel. Mine was only 11 days ago. And the customs people are sticklers, apparently. 

(The weird thing is that all this is self-reported. You would have to be blind to not see how easy you could forge a vaccine card. The whole system professes to be about saving lives ... but it is predicated entirely on people's honesty.)

I am kicking myself for dragging my feet over getting the vaccine for this trip. If I had taken action at the beginning of the summer when I first felt confident that this trip was really going to happen, none of this would be an issue today. I would be at JFK by now.  

I can't tell you how disappointed this leaves me. 

Sarah, on the other hand, is glad to have her math tutor around for the time being. 

And, although Melissa had to drive to the airport twice after school today, she doesn't seem all that disappointed either. 

There's always an upside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment