Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, May 15, 2022

READING ROMANS

One of the best things I have ever done for my spiritual life is my recent deep dive into the book of Romans. And I am not finished yet. Since I spent 6 weeks going through each of the 16 chapters verse by verse, over the last few day I have been going back and reading large swaths of it again to see how differently it hits me as a whole now.

And all I can say is ... wow. 

I turned to Romans after I had studied Matthew and then Acts because I had often heard that Paul's letter to the Romans greatly affected many "heroes of the faith" - from the Early Church Fathers to Luther to the Wesley brothers to Karl Barth and many others.

But now I wonder how many ordinary believers - like you and me - have been transformed over the years by this particular book?

J.I. Packer once said, “All roads in the Bible lead to Romans, and all views afforded by the Bible are seen most clearly from Romans, and when the message of Romans gets into a person’s heart there is no telling what may happen.” 

I am not foolish enough to claim that I grasp every last nuance of the book, but I do believe the message of Romans has gotten firmly into my heart and my mind.

I will keep you posted on what happens. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment