Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, May 29, 2022

BASIC THEOLOGY

You never know what percentage of the people in the pews understand basic theology. And, sadly, sometimes the pastors' understanding is suspect as well. 

One Sunday morning years ago, Melissa and I were listening to a sermon from the lead pastor at a large church I was serving as youth pastor. From high up in the balcony, our view commanded the entire congregation.

The text for the sermon was John 14:2 & 3, the words of Jesus to his disciples: "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." 

Not far into the sermon, the preacher - a kind, grandfatherly type - said this: "Our God has a large heavenly mansion with lots of rooms. I don't know about you, but I know a lot of Muslims who are good people. I can't imagine God doesn't have a room for each of them. And I know Buddhists who are good people. I can't imagine God doesn't have a room for them too. Heck, I know atheists who are really good people. And I believe God has space for them in heaven as well."

My wife and I looked around the crowd to see if anyone would stand up and walk out.

Nobody did. 

The minister had just used his time in the pulpit to proclaim the exact opposite of Christian faith, and it didn't even cause so much as an uncomfortable shifting in their seats.


No comments:

Post a Comment