Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, May 10, 2022

REWRITE

One way to know if something is an incredibly poor attempt at persuasion is if it can be turned easily on its head in favor of the other side. That is true with the recently popular pro-choice meme which I brought up last night, consisting of a quote from Pastor Dave Barnhart (credited as a "traditional Christian pastor"):


Now consider this rewrite:

The unborn are a convenient group of people to ignore. You don't see their faces. You don't hear their voices. But unlike the incarcerated, the addicted, and, indeed, every other breathing human, they are completely innocent. 

Still, you can dismiss the unborn because they are invisible to you. And they are extremely inconvenient to keep around. Through no fault of their own, they DO make demands on the people around them.

Nevertheless, they are the perfect people to love if you want to follow Jesus when he says, "Whatever you did unto the least of these, you did it unto me."

The unborn are, of course, mentioned in the Bible. John the Baptist "leapt" in his mother's womb when she greeted Mary, pregnant with Jesus. Long before that encounter, King David praised God, saying, "You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." (Psalm 139:13-16)

Someone must speak up for the unborn, woven together by God and precious to Him, since the unborn are the ones who get "thrown under the bus" (here, a fittingly violent image) for the sake of a mother who chooses not to bear the consequences of a pregnancy.

May God, and we, show her mercy and provide for her needs.  


For the record, I am also a "traditional Christian pastor" type. 

Maybe more so than Pastor Barnhart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment