Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, May 19, 2022

DELIGHT IN GOD'S LAW

Yesterday I outlined the first part of a sermon by John MacArthur on Romans 7:14-24. To his credit, MacArthur lays out the argument used by those who say Paul's "the good I want to do, I don't and the evil I don't want to do, this I keep doing" passage is meant to convey the experience of a non-believer

It's an argument established by context. And MacArthur has to admit that the verses surrounding Chapter 7 "seem to say sin is dethroned" in the life of a true believer. 

Even so, he still teaches that the passage describes Paul's actual struggle even as a mature believer. 

This creates a real problem. It makes Paul the worst preacher in history: "You all need to understand that you are set free from sin. You are no longer a slave to sin. Christ has dethroned sin in your life. But me? I can't help it. I can't seem to make myself do good and I just keep on sinning." 

So why does MacArthur sweep aside all of the relevant context? He believes Paul's words represent the ongoing battle every believer has with sin because in verse 22, Paul writes "In my inner being I delight in God's law." 

And MacArthur says to "delight in God's law", one must be born again. One must know Christ.

This seems profound and correct at first glance. As proof, MacArthur cites Romans 8:7 - "The sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so."

But there's a problem. That verse doesn't say the sinful mind can't love God's law, just that it can't submit to it.

So is MacArthur correct in asserting that one must be born again to be able to delight in God's law?

The entirety of the Old Testament begs to differ.

How many generations of Israelites claimed a genuine love for God's law, even as they failed to live up to it?

Psalm 139 gives a shining example of how Israelites aimed to revere God's law. The poet wrote:

14 - I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches.
16 - I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word.
20 - My soul is consumed with longing for your laws at all times.
24 - Your statutes are my delight; they are my counselors.
30 - I have chosen the way of truth; I have set my heart on your laws.
97 - Oh, how I love your law! I meditate on it all day long.
111 - Your statutes are my heritage forever; they are the joy of my heart.
174 - I long for your salvation, O Lord, and your law is my delight.

And look at Paul himself. Before he knew Christ, he was a Pharisee who was persecuting Christians. Back then, would he have said that he delighted in God's law? No doubt about it! 

Zeal for God's law was his entire motivation!

So could a non-Christian really say, "In my inner being I delight in God's law"?

Absolutely. In fact, it is the mantra of those who think they can earn their salvation by good works. 

I believe Romans 7:14-24 describes the inner state of one we can call an "almost-Christian". This person needs only the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Which - I believe - is the whole point of Chapter 7 leading into Chapter 8.

8:9 - "You ... are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ." 



No comments:

Post a Comment