Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, May 21, 2022

SHARING LIGHT

In John Wesley's treatise of 1775 called A Calm Address to Our American Colonies, he begins by saying he had supported the colonists' "no taxation without representation" position early on, but after careful thought and reading, he had changed his mind.

Over the course of several pages, Wesley then makes a powerful case against the legitimacy of the American protest against British taxes. (Considering the matter from England's perspective makes for interesting reading.)

And after writing it, he printed up thousands of copies and shipped them to America, at great risk to his own safety and reputation. 

The treatise begins with Wesley admitting he had been wrong. But now, "As soon as I received more light myself, I judged it my duty to impart it to others." 

A few paragraphs in, Wesley concedes, "I now speak according to the light I have. But if anyone will give me more light, I will be thankful."

And I believe he is being sincere. 

It's a humble and refreshing approach. He assumes those who disagree with him on this issue are nevertheless united with him in pursuit of "more light". And perhaps there is more light to be had - by everyone.

Let's bring this approach back to our present culture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment