Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, May 26, 2022

THINKING "I LOVE YOU"

I am more and more fascinated by matters of "mindset" and how our thinking and beliefs shape our experience. They seem to determine what we call "reality". 

A woman on a podcast said her therapist had suggested the following habit to overcome social anxiety: 
Just before you begin any interaction with another person - a family member, a co-worker, or a stranger at a cash register - silently think to yourself, "I love you."

When I heard that, I paused the podcast. Could making this simple thought into a habit influence a person's relationships and interactions in a significant way?

It seems weird and quirky, but I think it could have a profound impact. 

There is a powerful urge in our minds towards consistency. We don't like to be hypocrites. So if I tell myself that I love that frustrating co-worker, I am more likely to act in a loving way, whatever direction our conversation takes. And if I tell myself that I love that stranger in Walmart, I am much less likely to treat him as an object in my way.

I am guessing that mentally reciting "I love you" might take a lot of practice to become a habit, but I am going to give it a try.

"Love your neighbor as you love yourself." 

Anything that could help me keep the 2nd greatest commandment is worth an effort. 

No comments:

Post a Comment