Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, March 23, 2021

WHEN TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK DOESN'T APPLY

"Turn the other cheek", you'll remember, is Jesus's command specifically for believers who are harmed in some way by "an evil person" (Matthew 5:39). 

But what if the person who harms us is not evil? What if the person who harms us is just a fellow believer? Maybe angry, or misguided, or ill-informed, but not evil?

Well, there's good news and there's bad news.

The good news: If the person who figuratively strikes my cheek is a brother or sister in Christ, I am not required to turn the other cheek.

The bad news: I am required to do something tougher! Something that perhaps grinds even harder against my fallen human nature. 

You might think I am talking about forgiveness, and, yes, we are most definitely called to forgive. And forgiveness is tough, but it is actually the second part of our obligation and it is dependent on the first part: Confrontation.

It's late and I need sleep, but if you're wondering where I am going with this, check out the first half of Luke 17. 




No comments:

Post a Comment