Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, March 15, 2021

SPRING BREAK DAY 2

Yesterday morning we woke up in Columbia, South Carolina, and had just two and a half hours to drive to get to Myrtle Beach. Fortunately, we were able to check in early at the resort and get settled in shortly after noon.

On a local recommendation, we found a restaurant called The Boathouse for a late lunch and it exceeded our expectations. Samuel and I were very interested in ordering the fried pickle appetizer. At $9, I expected a dozen or so pickles on a plate. But I swear they emptied an entire jar of pickles into that deep fat fryer! And they were GOOD, as were the entrees.

So my proud parent moment of the day came with the check. Melissa and I planned to give an eight dollar tip and Samuel, who had been raving about his chicken sandwich, said, "That was so good, I want to contribute to the tip myself." You see, since becoming a server at a Columbus restaurant a few years ago, he has developed a firm empathy for waiters and waitresses everywhere. So we ended up giving a healthy $11 tip.

Who would have guessed seeing my son chip in an extra $3 for a lunch would make me so happy?



It's been great to watch Samuel and Sarah interact on this trip. They really do love each other and I think it is starting to sink in to both of them that Sam will be heading off to college in a few short months. 







Don't let the beach pictures fool you - it is nearly subfreezing here. 


P.S. Speaking of tipping, I am reminded how Melissa has told me that back in her own waitressing days, the servers always hated seeing Christian groups show up for meals - Sunday lunches, Baptist convention in town, etc. - because the tips were so bad. Christians, we should have the reputation of being awesome tippers. AND we should be tipping in CASH. 


No comments:

Post a Comment