Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, March 11, 2021

PRINCESS

In my single days I once housesat six weeks for a family with a cat named Princess. She was aptly named and the entire house was her kingdom.

Princess liked to jump onto the kitchen counter, roam about at leisure and then lick water from the kitchen sink. The family thought this was adorable. 

I did not. 

I do not care for cats and I prefer my food to be free of all cat hair.

I decided that six weeks would be more than enough time to break Princess of her bad kitchen habits. And, sure enough, within the first week, thanks to a few swift and forceful swipes of my arm, Princess ceded the kitchen to me.

For five weeks, I ruled at least one room of the house.

When the family came back and I turned over the house keys, honest to goodness, the first thing that cat did was jump up on the kitchen counter, defiantly square her body towards mine, and glare at me. 

With her posse behind her, she was back in charge. And she dared me to lay a finger on her. 

This is the image that came to mind in the few weeks since my sugar fast ended in January. Sugar has slowly crept back into my kitchen and now flexes its muscle once again. My weight has started creeping back up. (Melissa, by the way, has done much, much better than I at keeping sugar at bay.)

With spring break upon us (one more day of school!), I have recently decided I had better start exercising control over sugar again or else it will get the better of me. (The tiredness and morning aches have returned with the sugar and that alone should be motivation enough.)

So now I have decided to do some "intermittent fasting" and see if I can exert a bit of self control again, at least in the mornings and evenings.



No comments:

Post a Comment