Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 76 - Christmas Plate (Give) and Day 77 - Star Trek Poster (Give)

Many of the folks we interact with on a regular basis are from our church and since all the small groups are doing the study on The Hole in Our Gospel journal, it's getting harder and harder to pass things on to them.  They are all more conscientious about clutter and having too much stuff around!

So Melissa sneaked a Christmas plate out yesterday.  She filled it with applesauce bars and took it to a friend from church.  When the friend offered to transfer the bars to another plate, Melissa told her not to bother, she could keep the plate.

Today's Give was several posters, including this vintage Star Trek poster.  I don't remember having this poster... maybe it actually belonged to one of my brothers.  I looked at the back of it and it was copyrighted in 1978.  I would have been ten years old and I can guarantee that I did not like Star Trek as a ten year old.  I didn't come to appreciate the Star Trek universe until much later.  Maybe I had the poster because I liked the U.S.S Enterprise even if I didn't care for the show itself - it is one sweet ride.

So I wanted to give this poster to someone who was a bonafide Trekkie.  I offered it in my 7th grade class and several boys shot their hands up and requested it, but when I asked them to name some characters to prove who was the biggest fan, none of them could name any characters... the closest one came was "Dr. Spock"!  I mean, these guys knew William Shatner was on the show but couldn't name his character as Captain James T. Kirk!  Trekkies my foot!  It's not like I was asking them to speak Klingon, for heaven's sake.  Ultimately, they were all deemed unworthy of my 33 year old poster...

In the end, the poster was bestowed upon Nerd Supreme (from Day 49) 7th period.  I know I've already given him something, but what can I say ... I've got a soft spot for nerds.

No comments:

Post a Comment