Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 74 - Assorted Posters (Throw)

My little brother, Russ, continues to send things my way that he has found stashed away in our childhood home.  Yesterday I picked up a large tube (which at one time - 30 years ago - held an assortment of fireworks) that he had dropped off for me and discovered a poster collection which I had long forgotten.  There had to have been over 60 posters in that tube.  It turned out to be a real window into my childhood.  Melissa laughed at the view.

Apparently, I had a real affinity for kittens as a child.  My wife has no reason to tease me for all the kitten posters - it's perfectly natural for a kid - even of the male persuasion - to like pictures of fluffy, adorable kittens.  After all, they are so fluffy ... and adorable.  My theory is that since I was allergic to flesh and blood (and fur)cats, I had to settle for posters. The Christmas kitten poster from Day 10 was just the start.  It had somehow gotten separated from the pack.  In the tube, I found posters of kittens up a tree, kittens in a drawer, kittens on the phone, kittens with flowers, and kittens with fluffy, adorable puppies. 



But, seriously, it wasn't just kittens - I had posters of horses, dogs with ducks, porcupines, prairie dogs, and chimpanzees (including one dressed as a tennis player - nothing funnier than a monkey dressed as a human).

Ida (age 7) thought the "Tree Little Kittens" caption was hilarious.  He asked me, "Do you get it, dad??"

I also had a 3-D poster of some skateboarders.  I think it must have been one of my favorites because it was one of the most familiar looking poster I pulled out of that tube.


And apparently I once considered Ziggy to be funny!


My boys were excited to see some vintage Star Wars posters in the mix - I'll let them enjoy these for a while before they get thrown out.



I bet even a tough, uber-macho guy like Darth Vader liked kitten posters as a kid...

No comments:

Post a Comment