Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 65 - Used Light Fixture (Give)

I was going to just throw this in the trash, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I spent money on this fixture and it's still in good shape, so I want to see if Goodwill will take it. 

Snow kept us home from school today. We slept in, got lunch together and then went to my Mom's house with Keri and her kids to go sledding.  Good times, but not much accomplished around the house until this evening.  I finally got the downstairs bathroom ceiling painted and Melissa got some painting done on the downstairs doors and trim.

And we reached a milestone in prepping the house for sale:  the upstairs is finished!  Oh, yes.

The last thing on the upstairs list was the kitchen ceiling.  When we first moved in, the kitchen was a mess.  It was cramped, poorly arranged, black and white, and had a giant black ceiling fan whose blades whacked the cabinet doors when open.  My Mom helped us reorganize things and get new cabinets installed and my brother, Spencer, helped with the physical labor and installed a tile floor.  I replaced the ceiling fan with a square fluorescent light fixture and then painted the ceiling.

It didn't take too long to realize the fluorescent fixture was weak and completely inadequate for a kitchen ... but it took years for me to replace it with a smaller but brighter round fixture. 

Unfortunately, this switch resulted in a big, unpainted square surrounding the new light fixture, which stubbornly - year after year - refused to paint itself.  It became one more of those unfinished jobs that I didn't tend to notice except when we had visitors. 

So with the ceiling square finally getting painted tonight, I thought it would be fitting to make the old square fixture (which has been languishing in the garage for years now) my Give of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment