Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 68 - Postage Stamps (Sell - hopefully)

This is one of those things I almost threw away, then thought about giving away, then decided I should try to sell it.  I think there's a shop in Indianapolis that might give me something for it.

I hardly remember having these stamps and I don't remember if this was an on-going collection or something I was gung-ho about for a few weeks before completely forgetting it (as my own kids do now with so many of their toys and hobbies).  They aren't organized in any way - in fact, they are just jumbled together in an old Estee Lauder box my Mom must have provided.

What's somewhat depressing to consider is this:  at the time, the collection was pretty worthless because it was just a bunch of common stamps - only a few of them more than a few years old.  And that's why I was going to just toss them.  But then I paused long enough to realize that now all these common stamps are 30 to 40 years old!  They are antiques because I am now ... OLD.

So I decided to check them out on-line to see if any had value.  What I found was that quite a few of them retained their original face value ... sometimes a few cents more.  And I've got hundreds of them. 

Of course, it was 30 years ago, so the face value of most is between 5 and 8 cents!

No comments:

Post a Comment