Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Day 53 - Crystal Vase and Bowl (Give)

(Thursday, Dec 30)

OK, as a guy, I have to admit that I don't get the attraction of fancy crystal.  Isn't it just expensive glass?  Yes, it's beautiful, but not something I would willingly spend a bunch of money on.  (I feel the same way about a bouquet of roses and, for that matter, diamonds...)  But women seem to appreciate the beauty of crystal.

So it surprised me that Melissa was willing to part with a couple of pieces of crystal that we have had on display in the cabinets that overlook our dining table.

We had breakfast this morning with Steve and Keri and their kids and afterwards exchanged Christmas gifts.  Over the last couple of days, Melissa had been looking at some of these crystal pieces and considering to whom she might give them.  She explained to Keri later that she had picked two matching pieces, found a smallish gift box, and had prayed to God saying, "I'll be willing to part with these if they both fit into this particular box."  It was snug, but they fit.  So she gave them to Steve and Keri.  (Well ... right... just Keri, really.)

I'm proud of her.  I know it's tough for a woman to part with a thing of beauty. 

One last thing.  I would be remiss if I didn't compliment and thank Steve and Keri for their choice of gift for us.  We have not been the easiest to shop for this year - with all the talk of downsizing and packing and moving.  It pretty much rules out anything that is too bulky or purely decorative.  So I thought Steve and Keri's gift was very clever:  a coffee press.  It is not much bigger than an oversized coffee mug and it makes it possible to make coffee without a coffee machine and without filters.  There's plenty of coffee in Haiti, but finding and, later, disposing of filters would be a hassle.  There's no garbage pick-up, even in the compound where we'd be staying.  (They have their own little landfill pit where the garbage is burned on a regular basis.)  So now we can still enjoy coffee in the future without feeling guilty about adding to Haiti's pollution problems!  Well done.  Must have been Keri's idea!

Speaking of being hard to shop for this Chritmas ...
The homemade snuggie my Mom gave Melissa may have limited usefulness in Haiti.

No comments:

Post a Comment