Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, May 15, 2024

PAUL SOMETIMES FORGOT TO BE A CALVINIST

Remember Paul's famous lines about how intentional he is in making his presentation of the gospel as persuasive as possible?

19 Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. 20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. 21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. 22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. 23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.     - 1 Corinthians 9:19-23

As I reread this passage this morning, it occurred to me that the Apostle Paul can get away with language like this, but if I used similar wording in front of a Calvinist, I would surely be castigated.

What do you mean you change your approach to sharing the gospel depending on your audience? All you need to do is present the gospel and the Holy Spirit will take it from there. It is the Spirit who regenerates the sinner, giving him the faith that is necessary for his salvation. (While passing over all the unelect.)

Come to think of it, God does not even need you to present the gospel - we aren't synergists, for heaven's sake. You are only sharing the gospel because God has ordained that as the means for bringing about rebirth. 

(And that makes sense in a world where absolutely everything that happens is one big Kabuki show written by God before Creation began anyway.)

As R.C. Sproul was fond of saying, you are only sharing the gospel widely because you don't know which members of the public are the elect. If you did, you could focus exclusively on them. (And not waste your time speaking to all those individuals predestined to go to hell.)

So let's have no talk of "winning" anyone to Christ.

And, really, Paul - to speak of "becoming all things to all people" so that YOU "might save some"? What kind of Calvinist are you?

Are you trying to steal God's glory?

No comments:

Post a Comment