Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

NEW HOBBY

Recently I realized I don't have any hobbies to speak of, unless you count listening to YouTube debates over Calvinism or complaining about our dogs.

A recent voluntary activity has started to fill that void and given me what hobbies are supposed to provide: enjoyable time disconnected from the pressures of "reality". 

My new interest is in using Canva to create advertisements for local businesses. I have found it especially satisfying to replace lame existing ads with something I hope will be more effective. 

The fruits of my new hobby are being published in Westport's Town Crier. It's a neat little local community builder and business booster that gets distributed around town every two months. 

I figure it's a bonus if your hobby contributes to society in some way! (Sardinia Baptist is on the edge of Westport, so this is also giving me an opportunity to know and serve some people in the area outside the church.)

Here's a fun example of a before and after for a local restaurant:

The past ad for Stone's Family Restaurant was an absolute eyesore...


The color scheme. "Partys". The misalignments of various elements. 

The stain on the wall!

I drove out into the country to visit the restaurant last week in order to take some photos. The owner was super nice and gave me some fried chicken and gizzards for free, saying, "You can't advertise something you haven't tried!" 

(The food was fantastic!) 

Stone's is in a historic building in the tiny town of Milhousen. Beyond the food, the quaint atmosphere is a big part of the appeal. 

So here's what I came up with to replace their ad:


I feel pretty certain it is an improvement. 😉



No comments:

Post a Comment