Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, May 6, 2024

I WILL GIVE YOU REST

A few months ago I saw a video where Dr. Ben Witherington reminded a crowd that Scripture was written to be read aloud. The original audience would have been hearing the words recited by another. While reading Scripture it's a good idea to keep this fact in mind.

This might be important when reading Jesus' famous lines in Matthew 11:28-30:

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.

A chapter break conceals a possible connection between the concept of "rest" at the end of of Chapter 11 and the first 14 verses of 12 all being concerned with Jesus' activities on the Sabbath. 

What is the connection between the rest which Jesus offers in 11:28 and the claim He makes in 12:8 - "The Son of Man is the Lord of the Sabbath"? 

No comments:

Post a Comment