Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, September 19, 2023

LET'S ARGUE

I was at a gathering of ministers the other day, planning a community Thanksgiving service. All willing local churches will gather together under one roof the week of Thanksgiving to express gratitude to our God. 

It's an idea I am all for.

At one point in the meeting, a pastor asked the others what translations were permissible for the evening. Another asked him, "Well, what do you usually use on Sunday mornings?"

The man refused to answer, saying, "I don't want to offend anyone."

The group reassured this brother that nobody at the service would be offended by the use of any particular translation. 

According to the pastor leading the meeting, there are some "King James Only" types in town, but they would not be joining us for the community service ... for that very reason!

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

As far as I am concerned - and this holds equally for online or in person - if you disagree with me on some theological matter, bring it on! 

If you have a better rationale or a sharper exegesis of Scripture, I just might change my mind.

After all, I have been wrong in the past and the chance that my current theology is 100% accurate is zero.

Why would I want to hang on to a false belief about God or the Bible? 

The best way to test my own stances is to put them in the ring. Any unable to stand friendly scrutiny should be further researched or refined or retired. 

If brothers and sisters in Christ are really interested in moving ever closer to the Truth, a good argument can't be beat. 

Plus, it would be helpful to our current national culture if the church was able to serve as a role model of critical thinking, respectful disagreements, and willingness to reconfigure viewpoints. 

Maybe some day?

No comments:

Post a Comment