Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, September 10, 2023

GAIN

Director Tim Burton's 2003 fantasy film Big Fish is one of a handful of movies I can watch over and over.

Early in the film, elderly Edward Bloom is telling the story of a childhood encounter with his hometown's resident witch.

The witch had a supernatural power - anyone who looked into her false eye would see the means of his own death. When confronted with the opportunity to gain this knowledge of his future or to pass it up, Edward pondered for a moment and decided he wanted to know.


Fortunately for Edward, the eye revealed he would be an old man by the time his number was called. 

Armed with this foreknowledge, throughout his lifetime Edward could face any suffering or fear that arose from his circumstances, dismissing them with a simple "This isn't the way I die." 

Faith should serve the same practical function in the life of the believer. 

But even better.

When anxiety rises, I can tell myself,

"This isn't likely the way I die. But even if it is, my death will be gain." 


"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." Philippians 1:21

No comments:

Post a Comment