Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

A DAY

A day in my life:

An unexpected opportunity to spend a few precious hours with my best friend from college days. He was in state from California to help out with his aging father's health issues. I love this guy. Wish he lived next door. He and his wife met me and mine for dinner in Indianapolis. 

A frustration with some of the "teaching" that goes on in the local school. A lot of mediocrity is tolerated by the administration and parents alike. The mediocrity will continue unless the teachers are confronted. Hopefully this confrontation can be done in a loving and gentle way. The last time I felt I needed to confront a teacher our time together ended with the teacher in tears, confessing she had no idea what she was doing. And she hated me for a year. 

A lunchtime meeting of the various agencies who share space in the building where Mission Resource has its office. I have been there for over a year, but most of the faces in the room were unfamiliar. We each spend the majority of our time holed up in our own spaces. The discussion was partly about how the building management could create more community. This got people excited - human beings are relational creatures.

I guess I am giving up sweets for Lent. It doesn't feel very original or even all that challenging, but I definitely need to reign in my sweet tooth. After dinner at a Mexican restaurant and remembering that my doctor said I may have a problem with acid reflux, maybe I should give up spicy food as well. 

I have been grumbling the past couple of days about self-righteous Christians who feel the need to "warn" others about the recent "revival" in Wilmore, Kentucky. They have no firsthand experience of it, and they are simplistic binary thinkers: if this event is of God, it will be 100% good. If there is anything odd going on, any emotionalism, then it must be the work of the devil. Because emotions are bad ... or something. I guess true Christians always sit stony faced on hard pews. And warn others about false revivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment