Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, October 23, 2022

THE WIDTH

Poet and naturalist Diane Ackerman once wrote,

"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to live the width of it as well."

According to Wikipedia, Ackerman has packed a lot of adventures into her seven-plus decades of life: She has done field research in Patagonia, Japan, Brazil, Hawaii, the Amazon rainforest, and Antarctica. 

She can even claim the honor of having a particular molecule named after her - "dianeackerone" - a sex pheromone in crocodiles. 

Now that is something to put at the top of your resume!

I don't know if Ackerman is a believer or not, but I believe the pinnacle of what she is describing as "the width of life" is what Jesus would call "abundant life". (John 10:10)

It is tragic for a Christian to "get through" life when we could be seeking joy and fulfillment in those good works that God prepared in advance for us to do. (Ephesians 2:10)

I wonder if there's a limit to how much God could cram into our days and weeks if we let Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment