Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, June 12, 2023

STILL STUDYING

I am in Jackson, Mississippi for a week on campus at Wesley Biblical Seminary. This is my last of four in-person "intensives" as I finish my last semester of class before starting work on my dissertation come October.

It is very different from my first three visits to WBS. My first class in January of 2022 had over 20 students. We are down now to 4 - two who are just starting, one who is on his second semester, and me.

We had several hours of great discussions in class today since it is just 4 students and the professor.

There's definitely nowhere to hide. 

No back row.  

Over the last two years I have met a lot of neat people who have started the program but not finished for one reason or another - health, finances, or turbulent life circumstances. It's sad. 

I guess I entered this doctorate program like I approach most things of importance - determined not to fail or to give up too soon. 

It's tempting to think I have persevered through each semester by sheer willpower. Or that I am still here because I have something special. 

In reality, while I am sure it helps to have a stick-it-through-to-the-end attitude, I don't know that I would be here today if I were anticipating uprooting and moving my family to a new town, or in the midst of taking on a new job, or if I had just discovered cancer growing in my body.

In the end, I can only conclude that if God has cleared a path for me still to be here, I simply need to focus on making the most of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment