Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, June 4, 2023

GREATEST PROBLEM IN PREACHING

"The greatest problem in preaching is not the preparation of the sermon but the preparation of the preacher." - Dennis Kinlaw

Now that I am preaching weekly I keep telling people that I have come to the realization that I was not ready to preach even 3 years ago. It was a few weeks into preaching at Sardinia Baptist Church - where I was called this past March - when I realized that I was, in fact, finally prepared to preach. 

(Admittedly, this means that I was not yet ready when I was preaching weekly at the little United Methodist Church in Marietta, Indiana 25 years ago. By God's mercy for that congregation, it was a short-term gig.)

What has changed in the meantime? What has brought me to a point where I feel prepared to examine and proclaim the word of God on a regular basis?

A few things, off the top of my head and in no particular order:

  • My recent doctorate classes through Wesley Biblical Seminary (wonderfully relevant information which has landed more firmly in my mature years)
  • Developing a consistent prayer and bible study life apart from sermon preparation (without this, a preacher feels like an imposter - because he is)
  • Maintaining a daily writing habit for 2 and a half years now (clarifying my thinking)
  • Getting knocked around pretty hard by life and by professing believers (the greatest growth comes through the toughest times - and Melissa and I had plenty of fertilizer dumped on us) 
  • Learning some things about persuasion and psychology as a result of getting knocked around (this has given insight into fallen human nature and sinfulness - in my own heart as well as in the hearts of others)
  • Paying attention to debates regarding Calvinism (which has clarified what I believe and why)

All good stuff - none of it in place three years ago - except the beginning of the knocking around!

To be clear, I am far from claiming to be a great preacher ... yet - I am only saying the Spirit has been preparing me for the serious duty and privilege of preaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment