Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

AN INTERPRETATION

One of the clumsy parts of my sermon last Sunday was my attempt to say something intelligent about the original Greek wording of the text. 

I have an interest in Greek and a year of study under my belt (nearly 30 years ago now), but I am no expert. 

And, as the saying goes, what was a mist in my mind became a fog in the pews. 

Still, in general I believe it's important for the preacher to pay close attention to the original languages, to whatever extent time and study and familiarity allow, even if nothing gets mentioned directly in the sermon itself. 

Greek and Hebrew both have some unfamiliar properties which can at times be vital to understanding the original author's intent.

My professor this week summed up the importance of knowing something of the original languages in these terms: 

"Every translation is an interpretation." 

That is something church-goers and preachers alike should consider when reading the Bible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment