Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, April 18, 2023

WHAT A JOB!

When I took the position as pastor at Sardinia Baptist Church, I wasn't sure how I much I might love or hate preaching on a weekly basis. 

Turns out, I kinda love it. 

I know a lot of church folk would absolutely refuse to step foot behind the pulpit. Others might be persuaded ... but only after the twisting of an arm or the inflicting of guilt. 

In general, public speaking is a fearful thing to most people (although it doesn't rank above death, as many claim). 

Preaching has to be among the most formidable sort. 

With preaching you are not only vulnerable to verbal gaffes, awkward silences, nervous sweats, and dry mouth - you could also be exposed in front of others as ignorant of God's ways or hypocritical.

Or both.  

As for me, I know I will always feel a bit of fear when I first step up to read the morning's Scripture passage, but it is an exhilarating fear. The kind some people pay good money for - like walking through a "haunted house" or riding a roller coaster.

For me, any fear is overshadowed by the fact that I am being employed to read my Bible and share what I learn! 

Kenton Anderson in Integrative Preaching accurately characterizes my experience so far:

"Preachers are less communicators than they are listeners - special listeners, first listeners, with the advantage of a head start. We get there first, ahead of the crowd and know the joy of first discovery. We engage the text, seeking the Spirit and we hear! We hear the voice of God who speaks to us his grace and truth. Then having heard, we take what we have heard and offer it to others. God comes with us as we do." (p.xii)

What a great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment