Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, April 20, 2023

MEMORABLE

Back when I was in seminary and working as a youth pastor at my home church in Shelbyville, Indiana, I sometimes got the opportunity to preach before the whole congregation.

Especially during the summer, when the senior pastor wanted some vacation time.

Also during the summer our church would host a particular youth group from somewhere up north as they traveled south for their annual mission trip. They would crash on the youth group floor in their sleeping bags on a Saturday night, attend worship the next morning, and then be on their way.

One particular summer weekend, my preaching and their visit coincided, so I was one of the first to greet them early Sunday morning. I said, "Our pastor is out of town for vacation, so you get to hear me preach instead."

One of the teens spoke up: "That's funny. The same thing happened last summer when we were passing through. I remember your sermon."

Really? My preaching struck a chord with this young man? And the lesson stayed with him throughout an entire year? I could only imagine how my words had impacted his spiritual walk.

An unexpected burst of pride expanded my chest an inch or two. 

With great humility, I fished for more details: "Oh yeah? What do you remember?"

And that is when this kid replied - with that special candor possessed by teenagers - 

"I remember you were sweating. A lot."

1 comment: