Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, April 17, 2023

NO FEAR

I met a sweet lady who has been bed-bound since September. 

She apologizes for "letting me see her like this" in her hospital gown and her hair undone. It's a perfect spring day but her blinds are pulled. She can't get outside so she doesn't care to see it, I suppose.

She tells me she married at 18. Gave birth to her only child, a son, at 19. Married 60 years before she was widowed. She speaks of grandchildren and great grandchildren and the church members who call or visit her regularly. One sometimes brings a pint of ice cream with her. "It doesn't matter what flavor - I like it all."

A woman after my own heart!

Her voice is soft and sweet and gentle. 

"I will be 90 in June - if I live long enough to see my birthday."

And then she adds, "I sure hope I don't." Without a hint of fear or deceit. 

In fact, she is beaming. She means it.

She is ready to be out of that bed.

Ready to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment