Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, April 23, 2023

SPIRITUAL LEGACY

This morning in our little congregation I was privileged to enjoy the presence of the first pastor I ever knew. He was in town for his 90th birthday party, hosted by his daughter who is quite active in our church. 

I was not yet in kindergarten when Reverend Bill Clayton was appointed to First United Methodist Church of Shelbyville, Indiana. When the denomination moved him and his family out of town for a new appointment, I was 9. 

That was the last time I saw him - 46 years ago. 

When I shook his hand this morning, he said I looked taller.

He was always a man with a good and gentle sense of humor as well as a man of rock-solid faith. 

Considering the fact that my parents were discipled under him and I was discipled under them, I am part of Reverend Clayton's spiritual legacy. It was good to have the opportunity to thank him for his faithfulness. 


No comments:

Post a Comment