Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, April 12, 2023

A PRAYING LIFE

I came across the following definition of prayer and thought it was worth sharing:

"Prayer
 is talking with God about what we’re thinking and doing together; it is co-laboring with God to accomplish the good purposes of his kingdom. Prayer almost always involves other disciplines and spiritual activities (e.g., study, meditation, worship, solitude, or fasting). Don’t seek to develop a prayer life — seek a praying life." 
(Dallas Willard as quoted/paraphrased by Bill Gaultiere)

I used to get really anxious about "developing a prayer life" because I have always felt inadequate at building and maintaining a structured prayer time (like keeping a prayer journal or setting aside a regular - and substantial - time). 

I can honestly say that over the last few years especially, I have been building a "praying life".

In the end, I don't suppose it is an either/or thing ... but it could well be a sequential thing: first this/then that.

I say that because now that I have built a praying life, I have a greater internal urge to develop a prayer life. 

It's coming - not because I am gritting my teeth and making myself do it - but because I want to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment