Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, June 6, 2011

Day 193 - Camp Visor (Throw)

The Princess (age 4) really, really, really wanted to keep this visor for herself.  Her logic on why daddy shouldn't throw it away:  It's pink!

This thing was created at some summer camp somewhere along the way.  I worked at several: Moneto and Indi-co-so in Indiana, Morgan Memorial in Massachusetts and another camp (actually an "outdoor school") in California.

It brings back a couple of memories:

1)  I used to be a huge fan of Berke Breathed's comic strip "Bloom County" and thought his rip off of Garfield, "Bill the Cat", was hilarious.  All Bill would ever say was "Ack!"  Comic gold.

and 2) I used to always want a nickname.  The name on the visor was supposed to be a nickname, but it never caught on.  It says "Stretch".  What was I thinking?  You can't give yourself a nickname.  That's not how it works. 

But I always thought my name was soooo generic:  Steve.  Blah.

 Plus, it carried a scar inflicted by one of the hottest girls in my high school.  She once said to me, "I have a hard time thinking of you as a 'Steve' because when I picture a 'Steve', I picture a really hot guy." 

That's something you keep to yourself! 

The closest I ever came to actually getting a nickname to stick was the childhood summer when my older brother, Spencer, (with my blessing!) worked at intentionally calling me "Burford" every chance he got.  (It was a name we got from the old Dick Van Dyke Show, I believe.) 

Alas, Mom put a stop to that little project and I have remained nickname-less ever since.

I'm jealous of all those Biblical characters who got their names changed by God Himself.  Wouldn't that be so cool?  Abram becomes Abraham.  Simon becomes Peter.  Saul becomes Paul.

One of my favorite stories in all of Scripture is when Jacob wrestles with "the Angel" and his name gets changed from what amounted to "deceiver" to Israel which means something along the lines of "Strives with God" or "God Rules" or even "God's Fighter"!  How awesome is that.

Imagine going from "Liar" to "God's Fighter"!  I want THAT.

No comments:

Post a Comment