Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, January 5, 2023

HANDS OUT

Can I be honest with you about something?

(I don't know why I am asking you - seems like "being honest" is more up to me than you, right?) 

After 13 years or so of being a missionary, I continue to struggle with raising financial support.

When Melissa and I first felt God's call to Haiti and started to raise support, my Mom asked me pointedly, "So you're going to spend the rest of your life with your hand out?"

(She came around to where she fully supported our efforts in Haiti, but it took a few years!)

She meant well. Besides, the same sentiment was already haunting me.

And, to one extent or another, has haunted me ever since.

Asking other people for financial support goes against every fiber of my being as 

  • An adult
  • A man
  • An American

In fact, the only level on which it doesn't bother me is as ... a Christian.

After all, we all pray for God's "will to be done on earth as it is in heaven". 

Do I believe that it is God's will that those who have wealth should be sharing with those in need?

Yes I do. That doesn't mean anyone has to give to my work with Mission Resource, but it does mean I don't need to be ashamed to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment