Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Tuesday, January 3, 2023

EFFORT

A few years ago while ordering a meal at a fast food restaurant, an acquaintance asked me, "Why do you drink Diet Coke? You're not overweight."

The answer was simple: I am not overweight BECAUSE I watch what I eat and make sacrifices - like choosing the diet soda over one loaded with sugar. 

(These days I don't even drink the diet stuff. It can't be good for your body.)

We don't see other people's sacrifices or hard work, so we think their successes came easy. 

And so we have a tendency to assume that those who are thin have a naturally higher metabolism.

And those who ace tests are naturally smarter.

And those who play a guitar well are naturally gifted.

And those who make the team are naturally athletic. 

Do we really believe it?

Or is this just a convenient way to excuse our lack of effort towards our own goals?


No comments:

Post a Comment