Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, January 26, 2023

DRIVING THROUGH THE WOODS ON A SNOWY MORNING

Last Sunday morning I was driving through a several inches of new snow to reach a church about 30 minutes drive from our house. I was scheduled to preach there, but I had never even stepped foot inside the building before. 

I had left in time to participate in the 9:30 Sunday school class before service at 10:30.

At least I would have been on time if it weren't for the snow. A couple of cars in the ditches certified the reality of the slippery conditions. The country roads I was driving were barely traveled and it was hard to tell where the center line lay.

My hands clenched the steering wheel tightly and my shoulders grew tense. 

Soon it was evident that my slowed pace meant I wasn't going to make it to Sunday school on time. 

About halfway to the church, this thought raced through my mind: Are you sure it starts at 9:30? Maybe it was 9:00?

I continued on, my mind now as overstrung as my body.

All of a sudden, I came around a bend and saw to my left ... a beautiful little stream with ice-cold water splashing over the rocks, looking like a Christmas card with all the new snow displayed on and under the otherwise barren trees on either bank.

It was a real Robert Frost moment. 

It seemed to me that God was trying to remind me that the stresses of life - which I take to be reality - are only real inside my head. 

For those who have eyes to see, the true reality is all around us, layered deep in beauty and joy.


Anyway, I made it to church on time.



No comments:

Post a Comment