Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

THE FINISHER

It took a year, but I finished my bathroom remodel project which began with the installation of a larger shower and snowballed into a room extension with added cabinetry, an enclosed floor-to-ceiling drain pipe, and a recessed medicine cabinet. 

The last big piece of the renovation was bare concrete floor where tile should have been. Two spots lacked tile - at the far end of the room where some tile was removed during the replacement of the shower and at the door where the room had been extended by several feet. It was weeks that then turned into months that the floor looked nasty and felt terrible under bare feet. 

I had a few spare tiles in the garage but I procrastinated because 1) I didn't quite have enough spares to cover the entire space and 2) I had absolutely no experience in tiling or grouting.

But eventually I watched a few YouTube videos, borrowed some tools from my brother, and finished the job to the best of my ability.

Which turned out to be more than adequate.

Here is the Before:



And the After:





A relatively small DIY project, but it's funny. I can't help but notice that, in finishing it up, I gained much more than tiling experience.

Over the last few months I had started saying - to myself and to others - "I never finish a project."

Now, I have gained a new reputation - at least inside my own head (which is where all reputations start, I suppose).

Now ... I finish what I start.






2 comments:

  1. Looks good! I definitely understand saying you never finish a project. That's been said to me many, many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This one at least is done. You should come see it. (I should have mentioned here that I had major help from you on that shower!)

      Delete