Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Monday, September 10, 2012

Pics of Odds and Ends - Kindergarten, Cheese, and Bella


We have a solid internet connection here tonight, so I am using it to post a few pics from the past few days.  The first couple are for Melissa - I promised a week ago to show her some better pics of the kindergarten room:

A pic of the classroom where Melissa will teach kindergarten, God willing.  It is actually a house.  Got new tile and fresh paint and murals this past summer and looks pretty good!


The only drawback is that there are only the few windows at one end of the main room and when/if the power goes out, it gets dark and warm real quick.


A close up of the rug.


The outside of the kindergarten house with the rest of Cowman in the background.

Making mozzarella cheese at the Bundys.  I got cheese duty while the family had to be out for a few hours.  I have never seen such a complex and specific recipe.  The solidifying was supposed to take 30 minutes, but it was closer to 2.5 hours. Not sure why.  And then I performed the next step: heat to 104 degrees over the course of 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Turn off heat, stir for another 20 minutes, then let stand for 5.  In the end, it turned out pretty good.


Cheese draining through the cheesecloth.

This little guy is at his post on the front porch ledge every morning, keeping watch.  He's my guard lizard.


The building where we have worshipped the past two Sundays.  This is after the service - every bench was packed out during the service time.

Here's the sign in Cap Haitien declaring that Jesus will return on May 21, 2011.  Oops.  Have I mentioned lately there's a bit of spiritual confusion here?

This is brand new!  Cap Haitien - a city of 200,000 plus - now has 4 or 5 stoplights!

With Orinel and Joab at the English Bible Fellowship a week ago. This picture makes Orinel look so short!  I mentioned Joab a few posts back.  I was privileged to bring into Haiti with me a used laptop (from OMS headquarters) and a suit for Joab's upcoming wedding (from our family, the Combs and Todd Rohm).  Joab and I realized over Facebook a few weeks ago that we were pretty much the same size - which made shopping for the suit fairly easy!

No exaggeration - I have eaten more avocados these two weeks than the rest of my life combined.  They are in season here and they are big and beautiful.  I put the mug in the picture for size reference.  I picked these myself right here on the mission grounds.  Melissa will be so excited about this part of our diet here.

I snapped this picture of the Bundy dog, Bella, the other day and thought it would make an artsy black and white.  Bella is a good watchdog.  Apparently the other night Brett came out to find her barking at a tarantula crawling across their front steps.

Internet Update:
It's Monday evening and the internet guys are saying that the connection is installed and ready to go.  They weren't able to test it all, though, since the power was out when they finished.  So we will hope for the best, but not be overly surprised if it is not up and running by mid-morning tomorrow!  Here's what they were up to when I left school today:

The top guy is actually installing the satellite dish high up in the tree.  They had to hack away a few branches with a machete to get a good line of sight for the signal!

No comments:

Post a Comment