Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Son, the Miracle Worker

This is an open letter to my oldest son:

Dear Caleb,

I don't know if you remember Orinel.  Here's a picture of him:

Remember: most Haitians don't smile for photos - he looks much friendlier in person!

He did some translating for us when we were here in Haiti last summer as a family - when we were helping out with the VBS program.  You probably have a better memory than I do - when I saw Orinel last Sunday afternoon, it took me a few moments to recall how we had met.

The radio station (4VEH) has an upstairs meeting room used by various groups, including the English Bible Fellowship on Sundays at 3:30 pm.  EBF is a worship gathering of English speaking missionaries and Haitians who want to know English better.  I went last week at the invitation of Mrs. Z and ran into Orinel there - he came right up to shake my hand and ask how my family was. 

I went again today and Orinel was there once more.  We sat together and talked a bit.  His English is pretty good, but it's difficult to communicate at times even so.  I learned that he is self-taught in English - he never had any formal classes.  We kept chatting after the service and ended up walking the distance back to the mission together.  Along the way I found out that he lived in Cap Haitien with his sister in a house with no electricity.  He works as a volunteer at his church - one of the larger ones in Cap - as a sound engineer, but he can't find work in that line that pays. 

It bugs me so much to see these bright young men like Orinel who have so much talent and skill - skills that could earn them a very comfortable living in the United States - and they struggle along unemployed here.  Apparently, Orinel sometimes gets opportunities to preach and his sister earns a bit of money with some kind of work (I didn't quite understand!) and that gets them by. 

When we got to the gates of the mission and Orinel said he was going to jump on a tap-tap to ride home, I felt like he was the guy who should receive the $33 dollars you sent with me.  I know that you are already aware of this, but I'll say it again:  I admire how generous you are with your money and I know the Lord is pleased with your willingness to give it away to people in need, even complete strangers. 

I had Orinel walk up to the house with me, since I had left my wallet behind when I walked to EBF.  (I've gotten a little paranoid about the possibility of getting robbed along that road, so I didn't take anything worth losing, beyond my camera.) 

I made sure Orinel knew that the money was coming from you, and when we arrived at the house, I showed him one of the pictures of you I had on the computer.  He said the money was a MIRACLE.  That was his word.

And you know what that makes you?  Son, you are a miracle worker!  God worked a miracle through you. 

Keep it up, Caleb.  I can't wait to see what your future holds as God continues to develop your faith in the coming years.  You and your siblings have so much potential built into you.  Undoubtedly God has great plans for you all, to His glory.

I am eager to see you and your brother and sisters again.  I will be home a week from tonight, God willing!

With Love and Admiration,

Dad


P.S.  Orinel stuck around and agreed to give me some Creole lessons.  I now know how to say "I am not French" in Creole!  You never know when THAT might come in handy.  He is coming again tomorrow for a follow up lesson.

1 comment:

  1. Such sweet testimony...
    I love to hear how God works through the children!
    Blessings,
    Nancy Hayes

    ReplyDelete