Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Checking Possibilities at Emmaus Biblical Seminary

I had the opportunity yesterday afternoon to visit Matt and Stacey Ayars at the Emmaus Biblical Seminary just down the road 30 minutes from Cowman.  Mine was a fact-finding mission:  I was interested in finding out how I might be able to contribute to the incredible ministry happening at EBS if I could split my time between Cowman and EBS once our family moves to Haiti. 

I was encouraged to find that a split seems very doable. 

At Cowman I will be teaching Language Arts to grades 7 through 12 and overseeing their work on other online classes.  Right now there are only 4 students in this category (the principal limited enrollment this year since this is experimental and I was not able to be on site full-time yet), but even when enrollment goes up, the Language Arts load at Cowman will be very manageable.  And the online curriculum oversight will be something that requires little extra effort.  Discovering what this part of my job here would look like was one of my main objectives for coming down for these two weeks.

Cowman School in the early morning.


Matt Ayars, who is President of EBS, picked me up at Cowman yesterday and drove me to campus.  He explained how each class at the seminary meets for a single two or three hour block once a week for 12 weeks.  There is demand for youth ministry courses and for extra English language classes that the school is currently unable to staff.  A Friday language tutoring time could also use extra instructors.  There's even a need for one-on-one English writing guidance for a couple of the Haitian instructors on staff who are currently working on extending their degrees through an English language program. 

All that is to say that when Matt drove me back to the mission grounds (after a fantastic Mexican meal with a frosted cake for dessert), I was feeling like I could legitimately split my time between Cowman and Emmaus in the future and be a help at both.  I see Christ very actively at work both places and it would be a privilege to serve Him in both contexts.

If you have a moment, you should check out the Emmaus website at ebshaiti.com.

The Ayars family.

No comments:

Post a Comment