Therefore Having Gone

Therefore Having Gone

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thursday Cowman Update

We are four days into the new school year here at Cowman.

In many ways, the start of school here looked like any school in the States.  The students showed up Monday, lugging backpacks, lunchboxes and water bottles and bubbling with a sense of anticipation and anxiety.  The teachers warmly greeted each student and showed them to their classrooms, where posters adorn the walls and bulletin boards offer key learning points.  At eight o’clock a bell rang and the students took their seats.

But the bell is not electronic – it is a literal bell and it’s in the hand of Mrs. Z, a 70-something missionary from the States who teaches 1st and 2nd grade.  Electronics are not anything you want to put too much trust in here in Haiti.  At about 9:30 every morning the power has been going out, leaving the classrooms without overhead lighting, but, more importantly, without fans. 

My class is dependent on electronics and we are paying the price for that dependency.  I have just three students, Caleb, Jacob and Julia, and they are supposed to be doing the majority of their coursework online.  Today is the fourth day of school and still no internet connection.  The fine men of Access Haiti would make stateside house contractors proud:  “We will be there Friday before the start of the school year.”  “Saturday.”  “First thing Monday morning.”  “Sorry, our guy was sick.  Tuesday?”  “We didn’t bring enough cable.”  “We will finish the job tomorrow.”

My students and I haven’t been sitting around twiddling our thumbs.  It has actually worked out well for me.  I have had plenty of time to teach some writing skills and to get to know the students individually.  By the time I leave a week from today*, we will have a good foundation from which I can teach long distance the rest of the semester. 

I want desperately to come back with my family after Christmas, in time to start the second semester.   There is a good reason why I have only three students: the principal had to limit the number of upper grade enrollments as a result of not having a teacher – me! – on site this semester.  Other students were interested but were turned away and I am told that this is the only school in this area which offers the upper grade classes now.  I read recently that the average Haitian adult has the equivalent of a third grade education. 

And then there is the kindergarten where Melissa is to teach.  For now, the principal is teaching the class and so is only able to offer it three times a week.  Even so, with all the other responsibilities Angie must juggle, I am hoping our family can get here and Melissa take the reins of the kindergarten before Angie is burned out completely. 

If I were handed a magic wand next Thursday when it’s time for me to board a plane, and told I could use it to instantly be reunited with my family, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it to bring Melissa and the kids here with a couple of suitcases rather than to pop me back to Indiana.
 
*  Heard a rumor today that the Cap Haitien airport may be shut down for the next 5 weeks!  We shall see.  I would appreciate your prayers over this matter.  Of course, it DOESN'T mean that I won't be able to fly to Florida until October if the rumors are true.  But it DOES mean that I would have to alter my plans quite a bit.  First, I would have to get to Port-au-Prince somehow and book a new flight from there.  Also, my rental for the trip home is from Ft. Pierce and I would likely be flying elsewhere out of Port.  I already have lined up several friends I want to see on the way back and a speaking engagement in Flowery Branch, Georgia for the 16th of September.  So... I am praying.
 
P.S.  I will try to post some pictures this evening if the internet around the compound is working!

No comments:

Post a Comment